Friday, October 19, 2012

Flowers that Float my Boat

Though my wedding to do list is dwindling (both a happy and sad thing!), I have a few more items left to tackle. Over the past couple of weeks I've been working on one of the most fun items. Flowers! I've met with 3 florists (only two that turned out to be legitimate) and all were surprised to find that I knew exactly. what. I. want. What can I say? I know what I like and I want what I want!

The hard thing about choosing a floral design is that there are SO many beautiful, fabulous, wonderful flowers out there! But, not all go together and not all have the look I want for my wedding. For example, I love hydrangea bushes. J planted two of them for me in our backyard for our anniversary last summer! The big balls of blooms make me so happy to see while I'm walking through our neighborhood. However, hydrangeas are on my "do not include" list for my florists. Even though they're such a happy flower, the tiny flowers do not fit my idea of "eclectic romance." For our wedding, I'm going with either very petally (yes that's a word now), and full flowers, or very delicate flowers.

Here are some of my absolute favorite flowers that we're going to include in our wedding.

Petally:

1. Peonies-

1, 2, 3, 4

These fall easily into the "full of petals" category. If you've ever seen peonies growing in someone's yard you know that they are so heavy and full of petals that they often fall over with their heads resting on the ground! I think they're stunning and ooze romance!

2. Ranunculus-

1, 2, 3, 4 

Smaller than the peony but just as frilly! We'll be using one of these babies as J's bout. 

3. Dahlia- (ok we can't actually use these because our wedding is before their season, but if I could I would so I'm including them here!)

1, 2, 3, 4

Also, check out this blog I adore. It's written by a flower farmer! Honestly, this looks like the best job ever! She takes the most amazing pictures of her flowers.  The first and third picture above are hers. Yes, that is her truck filled to the brim with dahlias! Fantastic! Here she is, arms full of beauties!


Delicate:

1. Asilbe-

1, 2, 3, 4

So delicate, sweet, and light. I have been having a love affair with this flower. I initially wanted these to be my bridesmaid bouquets. Unfortunately, florist #1 quoted them out at $200 per bouquet so it's a no go. I've been secretly trying to brainstorm a way to make it work but I know it's not meant to be. Luckily I can still include it in the centerpieces and a few stems in my bouquet. The problem is that to make such a full looking bouquet you need about 40 stems of these babies! They've 100% captured my heart and I can't wait to see them in person!

2. Anemones-

1, 2, 3, 4


Anemones are so playful! I love the graphic pop of black in the center. They come in a wide variety of colors and add such a statement in an arrangement. 

Those are the flowers that float my boat! 

<3








No comments:

Post a Comment