Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Jewish-ish Wedding Traditions- Yichud (and a bit of hair style talk)

We're back with more Jewish goodness! I'm watching my absolute favorite Jew on The Voice right now! So proud that Adam Levine is part of the tribe! Anyyyyways... today's Jewish wedding tradition on the agenda is the Yichud. But since there are no pictures associated with the yichud and posts without pictures are no fun, I'll also be discussing my thoughts on my hair-do for the big day!

A yichud is simply a time of seclusion for the bride and groom after they become man and wife. In traditional and religious families, men and women aren't allowed to have alone, one on one time until they are married (lest they do something naughty!). So the yichud is the first chance the couple gets to spend alone in each other's company! Actually, in biblical times this was when the couple "consummated" the relationship... Awkward! However, according to wikipedia, that practice is no longer current (thankfully)!
Nowadays the happily married couple goes off to a room on their own to snack on some yummy appetizers and look at each other and go "Oh my god we're married!!!!!" Let's just say that J and I will definitely be doing this.

#1- Our caterer is ah-mazing and I want to eat those yummy yummy apps!
#2- I think after committing to spend your life loving and living together, it's nice to spend a few stolen moments alone together!

Now, the question is how much time do we spend in seclusion? The advantage of doing a "first look" and taking all of the bridal party and family portraits before the ceremony, is that we're free to do whatever we like during cocktail hour! I'm thinking we'll only need 10-15 minutes to stare at each other and giggle that we're married. After that, my fabulous bridesmaid/hair stylist will transform my hair from it's veiled curly down style to a fun, ready to party, up-do! Here's what I'm thinking for my reception hair style:


all sources can be found on my pinterest board Dana's Wedding Style Vision

I want my reception look to be fun and flirty! I like the messy hair styles rather than a smooth, pulled together look. Features that I definitely want to include are curls (naturally, since I'm a curly girl!), braids, and twists (get it, because I'll offically be a Twist! har har).

Assuming my hair transformation takes about 20-30 minutes, we'll have 30-40 minutes of cocktail hour time left! I'm still thinking through what I'd like to do with that time. Should we join the cocktail hour? Do more portraits of just J and me? Watch the transformation of the ballroom? Kick back and relax and eat more appetizers? I definitely want to get a sneak peak of the room before all of my lovely guests go in. I've even seen pictures of the bride when she first walks in and sees her vision come together. I think I'd like that, since after all of this planning I'm sure my face is going to be all OMGAMAZING!!! when I walk in! I'd like to remember the moment when I feel that it was all worth it!

Thanks for joining me for another installment of Jewish-ish Wedding Traditions! Only 1 to go! Here's how we stand:

1. Ketubah signing- IN
2. Chuppah- IN
3. Separation- OUT
4. The Covering of the Bride- Half IN Half OUT
5. The Procession/Unterfieres- IN
6. Encircling of the Groom- IN
7. The Betrothal/Ring Ceremony- IN
8. The Kiddush- OUT
9. The Seven Blessings- OUT
10. The Breaking of the Glass- IN
11. Yichud- IN
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment