Monday, December 31, 2012

DIY Chevron Paint Chip Art

I've been trying to fill an entire gallery wall in my "Lady Lounge". In order to accumulate that much art in a short period of time (it needs to be finished by my wedding because I'm getting ready in that room and so it'll be in my pictures) I needed to come up with a way to make inexpensive pieces myself. I'd been seeing a lot of art on Pinterest made with paint chips and thought that would be a great way to make some fun art without spending a lot of dollars. Once I saw inspiration for chevron art made from paint chips in my new Young House Love book by two of my favorite bloggers at Young House Love and I knew this project was the one! It's super easy to make and looks awwweesome! Here's the step by step:

Step 1: Acquire some paint chips. I did feel a little guilty slinking out of home depot with a pile of paint chips in my purse but I have bought a lot of paint there in my past and promise to buy all paint in the future from there to make up for it! I decided to go for an ombre look by grabbing paint chips in color succession. But you could go with more of a color blocked look too!



Step 2: The paint chips need to be cut into skinny vertical strips. I was able to cut out two strips on each chip without having any of the words on them. I used this craft board to measure out even strips but if you're not betrothed to a nerd like I am, (and therefore don't have a craft board on hand), you can use a ruler to measure instead! And yes, I used a big envelope to draw a straight line. I couldn't find a ruler and I believe in using whatever is handy!


Here they are all cut out in strips!  



Step 3: Lay your paint strips out into their pattern on top of your background paper. I used some white poster board for a crisp look. It's important to arrange your pattern first before gluing it down so you can plan out the spacing. My first arrangement was not what I wanted and was spaced way too close together. I was glad to have a chance to rearrange! 

First attempt:


Second attempt much better! 


 Step 4: Glue down your strips. I used this handy glue roller contraption I picked up at Michael's. A glue stick will work just as well though.



Step 5: Stand back and admire your work! I decided to make another with the pattern continuing and moving in a mirrored pattern to the first.


Here they are together. I'm really happy with how they came out! They will be a lovely addition to my gallery wall!


Looking even better in their frames!


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment